Thursday, September 9, 2010

Oh, My Yummy!

Sorry, it's been a while.  Busy couple of weeks here.  Thank goodness for a weekly dinner plan - it really does help.  Although this week I've been sick so it's been "fenders" just about every night.

My dear friend, Fabienne, dropped by after school today with her three little ones and I always try to have something for them.  After all - she was coming to hand-type a bunch of corrections in the translation of my latest class schedule / brochure.  I should at least thank her through her kids, right?

So I made "Vanilla Wafers."  Man they were yummy!  They weren't quite what I imagined though.  I was looking for that dry, crunchy cookie to make Banana Pudding.  These were very buttery, chewy on the middle and crunchy around the edges.  Pure yummy, but I would probably call them Drop Sugar Cookies instead of Vanilla Wafers.

And yes, the kids loved them.  I got a thumbs up from Gill (9).  But their yumminess sure didn't stop Matthieu (3) from stomping his foot at me and correcting my pronunciation of his name.  Sweet little Valerie (5) just grinned, didn't say much and "tested" my batter to make sure it was good, when her first cookie was gone, she just hopped down from the bench and helped herself to another from the cooling rack.  They feel quite at home here ... made me realize how much I miss having little ones around.  xox to I,O&O, the Nx3, A and soooo many more ...




drop sugar cookies


1/2 cup butter, softened - next time I might use a bit less.
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla - I always use Pure Mexican Vanilla - the flavor super exceeds any other vanilla I have tried.
1-1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
  1. Heat oven to 350F / 175C. 
  2. Cream butter and sugar together.
  3. Beat in eggs and vanilla. 
  4. Add dry ingredients and mix well.
  5. Drop by teaspoonfuls about 2" apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
  6. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown.  Remove to wire rack and cool.
Dinner tonight?  Enchiladas ... I can hardly waiting ... just thinking about having them tonight had me drooling already before breakfast.  They're quick and easy (1/2 hour to prep, 20 mins in the oven) but ... I'm using 8 of my last 20 Costco tortillas.  What will I possibly do when they are all gone??

1 comment:

  1. O! i can hardly wait to try the delicious cookies tomorrow! Is your recipe for Enchiladas here somewhere, or is it available? AND! i can send you tortillas from Costco! My sister lives in Switzerland, & i can just imagine sending her some, also :)
    i can't believe this wonderful cookie recipe has been here for a year and a half, & i am only finding it now...
    Thanks so much!
    Marise

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...