|PHOTO CREDIT: "White Bean Stew by jive turkey, on Flickr"|
Things I loved about this recipe:
- It's packed with vegetables.
- Beans .. I love 'em for their great source of protein.
- Spinach .. Axel loves it!
- It was very quick and easy to make.
- There's only good in it. Nothing bad, nada, nothing whatsoever.
Verdict: A+ this recipe definitely goes on our must-make-again list.
My comments regarding Smitten Kitchen's recipe:
- I pureed the tomatoes so there were no chunks - it made a lovely orange sauce when finished. Chunks would be fine, but I just didn't want them tonight ...
- Used spinach because Axel loves it! - I just heaped it on top of the stew and wilt.
- Topped with a fried (sunny-side up) egg instead of a poached one - mostly because I've never made a poached one and I used very very little olive oil to fry it.
- I did not add ham (as seen pictured above), that addition seems to be an earlier adaptation of this recipe.
- The white wine might not have been necessary ... the jury is out on this on, might try making it without (like in next time I just don't have it in the house) and see what happens.
- A sprinkle of parmesan on top of the stew would be lovely ...