Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My house smells divine!

Is there anything better than the smell of Banana Bread?

Bananas!

We had too many. They ripened too fast.

And since I still can't stand sweet there's no way Axel could eat them all on his own.

So here's my adaptation of the recipe I grew up with. Oh, and my favorite way to eat it? Warm (even toasted) with a slice of cheese. Mmmmmm!

baked banana breadBanana Bread

1/4 cup milk
1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas*



Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325F / 160C
  2. Line a 5"x8" (13cm x 20cm) loaf pan crossways with baking paper.
  3. Mix the milk and baking soda together in a cup and let sit for about 10 minutes.
  4. Cream together the sugar and vegetable oil.
  5. Add in eggs one at a time and cream well.
  6. Stir in flour and milk sugar.
  7. Add mashed bananas**
  8. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean.

Mom's original recipe called for shortening so I've always used butter. Eureka moment this week when I used oil instead! It creates the perfect texture. Before I had always considered Banana Bread just "ok" now I might just be an addict. Yummmmmeeee!

Of course I reduced the sugar, it calls for 1 whole cup. No thank you. I find the bananas add enough sweetness.

I only had two bananas today and it was fine. I also never mash them. Just add them into the mixing bowl at the end and stir until incorporated.

naked banana breadIf you use a 5"x8" pan like I suggest it will be very full, but it makes a lovely high loaf. Trust me.

Also gone are the days of greasing and flouring pans. I just line the bottoms or go across like I did here. It works a treat and makes it easy to lift out. Just loosen the loaf at the ends and voilá!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...